YAGA is a Los Angeles, California based mobile app company founded by two U.S. entrepreneurs who have built and sold numerous internet technology companies.
On behalf of YAGA, we are looking for a SENIOR iOS DEVELOPER with a passion for building mobile products that change the way people around the world communicate and share. You will be working alongside an experienced technology team on completing an iOS app that is already getting serious early attention. You will be responsible for all data and network aspects of the app. You will interact with other engineers locally and various team members in Los Angeles, including Design / Engineering / Management. This position is full-time in our Kyiv office.
We care more about having smart, creative, effective developers who ship code than having an exact match for the requirements.
- Build beautiful native mobile iOS app experiences consumers love using Objective-C
- Own all infrastructure aspects (Core Data, Networking, etc)
- Work with other developers on implementation of functionality
- Daily communication with management, product, design team and software developers
- Work to ensure compatibility with all iOS devices
- Daily face-to-face communication with U.S. product & engineering (plan for time difference and later evenings)
- Ship code on time, solve problems, and make decisions to drive product development
- Experience developing, releasing and maintaining rich native iOS apps (point us to your work in the App Store)
- Expertise in Objective-C (bonus points for Swift)
- Personal projects that show an aptitude for engineering and product sense
- Expertise in using Core Data to manipulate objects
- Expertise in CocoaPods for package management
- Experience with AFNetworking for network layer
- Experience with NSLogger for logging
- Experience working with / building APIs
- Comfortable working with fast moving, high-pressure and large-scale consumer facing mobile products
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills in English
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related field, or a wonderful project list trumps all
- Prior startup experience is fantastic, but not necessary. Just be scrappy, work fast, and communicate well
- Passionate ideas about viral loops using the mobile address book, social connections and fundamental human nature
- Competitive Salaries
- Apple equipment or any hardware/software/equipment you need, customized however you like
- Fast-paced and exciting startup led by experienced entrepreneurs
- A brilliant team working on an array of new mobile ventures that you have the opportunity to create and shape into the next Snapchat / Instagram
- Great amenities within a great building, and a colorful / creative work environment
- Direct daily communication with highly-regarded U.S. tech entrepreneurs and investors
- Paid time off
- Much more...
YAGA is comprised of some of the finest product and engineering talent in the global technology industry. The company is principally located in Hollywood, CA and is focused on the intersection of mobile and social technologies (specifically focusing on video and people discovery).
YAGA is looking for passionate, dedicated and focused software engineers that want to work with some of the most talented folks in the consumer Internet. It is imperative these software engineers ship code on time, are self-starters and can handle difficult technical challenges. Given there will be great distance between teams, it is imperative the new team members must be excellent communicators as well as extremely disciplined at shipping code.
The founders of YAGA are seasoned and extremely well respected founders/executives. Brian and Dan's previous company was Tappy (ephemeral mobile messaging) which was acquired by Tinder. Previously, Brian and Dan founded Newroo (machine learning based news aggregator) which was acquired by News Corp. At News Corp Brian and Dan each ran material pieces of the Fox Interactive/MySpace business respectively (MySpace News and FOX Advertising Network) and reported directly to now-Twitter-President Adam Bain. Brian and Dan also founded Ad.ly (along with now Tinder founder Sean Rad) which at one time was the Internet’s largest celebrity endorsement marketplace. Ad.ly was acquired by Nestivity.
Brian specializes in mobile product development and mobile product management while Dan is an expert in scaling large distributed networks and machine learning. Dan is widely considered one of the top pure technologists in the world and was admitted to Brown University after spending years as a researcher at NIH while in high school. Brian and Dan are also both active angel investors having written the first check for Angel.co among many others. Brian and Dan reside in Los Angeles and are generally considered really nice guys.
Co-Founder and Product Development Lead
Brian Norgard graduated from honors from Brown University. While in college Brian was award the prestigious NCIIA grant given to the top 10 most gifted college innovators in America. Brian specializes in mobile product development, mobile product management and viral growth. Brian was the youngest VP in News Corp history (25) after his first company was acquired by News Corp. Newroo was the first machine learning based news aggregator.
At News Brian ran MySpace News and was critical in helping FOX Audience Network become the 4th largest advertising network, serving hundreds of millions of users and billions of impressions each month. Post MySpace Brian founded Chill which quickly grew to over 25MM users and was once the largest video discovery site on the Internet. Chill was was funded by Kleiner Perkins, Lowercase, Redpoint, Atlas, BSKYB and Stanford University.
Brian is an avid angel investor and student of product trends. Affable, down-to-earth and studious, Brian lives with his wife and young daughter in Hollywood.
Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer
Dan Gould founded Tappy with Brian Norgard. Dan is a recognized export at social software, machine learning, and large-scale systems. Dan studied Math & Computer Science at Brown University with a focus on HCI, computer graphics, and machine learning; he was a Researcher in the Computer Graphics Research group and was a TA for various courses in Software Engineering and dropping out senior year to start his first startup company.
Dan was a researcher at NIH (NIDDK/LCBB), publishing papers using high-speed computer-based imaging systems; was an engineer at Tazz Networks developing high-speed Internet service routing systems; and was a consulting at Cyberkinetics working on the first Brian-Computer Interface to be implanted in a human brain.
Dan co-founded Newroo with Brian Norgard. Newroo developed technology for doing large-scale spender and text analytics on the internet and for large-scale personalization. When newroo was acquired by News Corp, he was VP of Technology at Fox. Within Fox, he helped create the Fox Audience Network which their team built to the 4th-largest ad network on the Internet by the time he left, handling over 4 Trillion ad impressions per year. Their team pioneered and invented many of the big-data architectures later used by many companies handling massive scale.
Dan has won several computer science and engineering awards, including ones from the National Center for Supercomputing Applications and from NASA and NIST. He is also and active angel investor and technology advisor to several companies. He regularly gives talks on a variety of topics; most recently on building scalable mobile apps using Cassandra, Kafka, and Storm at the LA Big Data Group.